When you are dealing with a legal issue, it is important to find an attorney familiar with that area of the law, because experience can save you from a lot of headaches down the road. This is especially true with criminal law.
Most people do not understand that any licensed Kentucky attorney can take their criminal case – even if that attorney rarely handles criminal cases. Some attorneys see the prospect of a big fee and will take on a case and hope to figure it out as they go along.
For that reason, here are some questions I think you should ask a Criminal Defense Attorney before you choose them to handle your criminal case:
- What percentage of your practice is criminal defense?
- Have you represented a client with the same charges as mine?
- Who is my prosecutor and what do you know about him or her?
- Who is my judge and what do you know about him or her?
- Can you walk me through how the criminal process works?
- When is the last time you worked on a case similar to mine?
- What penalty ranges am I looking at?
Now to be fair, some charges are more common than others. So an attorney who has not handled your exact charges recently may still do a wonderful job. I have handled far more Assault 4th degree cases than I have video voyeurism cases, so that should not be a deal breaker. Instead, you are looking for someone who is confident in their answers and is able to explain your charges and the process.
At the end of the day, I would advise you to pick an attorney with whom you are comfortable, and in whom you have confidence. Don’t pick an attorney because of how expensive (or inexpensive) they are or where their office is located.
If you or someone you love have been charged with a crime, please contact me at 859-242-3487. I would be more than pleased to answer each of the questions I pose above and any other questions you may have!